Do You Need Life Insurance?
Nearly 43% of all Americans do not have any life insurance. Among people 25–44, even more, 48%, are not covered1. Are you one of them? Even when we are just starting out, most of us have financial and family obligations of one kind or another. Although you may not be married and don’t have any children yet, here are a couple of reasons why you might want to look into life insurance now:
- the national median cost of a simple adult funeral is now over $7,0002. The actual cost could be greater, depending on where you live. Will you leave that expense to your family?
- Students may have loans co-signed by their parents or someone else. Who will have to pay off your loans if you’re not there?
Many Life Insurance policies base premiums on your age, health, and tobacco user status. So, some people may choose to obtain coverage at a younger age while they are healthy to get more economical life insurance coverage. If you wait, you could pay more and, worse, perhaps not be able to get life insurance at all someday should you suffer a serious medical condition and become “uninsurable”.
The number one reason cited for not applying for coverage is the perception that life insurance costs too much. “It’s too expensive!” is the common refrain when Americans are asked why they don’t get the life insurance protection they need. But—and it’s a big but—80% overestimate how much it costs." 3
Click here to see the premiums and decide for yourself.
This association group insurance policy will help you get started with some basic life insurance coverage. Later on, you will most likely need more insurance and we can help you with that as well when the time comes.
Please note: Members must reside in the U.S. to be eligible for this coverage.
- Active, dues-paying members and their spouses* under age 50 and resident in the United States are eligible to apply
- Group rates for up to $250,000 of coverage
- Simplified Issue (no physical exam required, acceptance is based on your answers to the health questions on the application) if applying for $100,000 or less
- Individual (non-group) policies up to $1 million available 4
- Optional dependent children insurance up to $10,000 (Child Eligibility)
- INCLUDES Will Preparation Service at no additional cost (non-insurance special feature for SOMA members)
- Group Plan available in all states and DC, except NY.
Group Life Plan Insured by Life Insurance Company of North America
* Includes Registered Domestic Partners in CA & WA.
1 Source: LIMRA 2015 Insurance Barometer Study: https://www.lifehappens.org/industry-resources/2015barometer/
2 Source: National Funeral Directors Association 2014 -http://nfda.org/about-funeral-service-/trends-and-statistics.html#cost
3 Source: www.lifehappens.org, 04/14/2015 - http://www.lifehappens.org/blog/the-no-1-reason-people-dont-buy-life-insurance/
4 Individual policy options from leading national insurance companies can be quoted upon request for members and spouses over age 50, those unable to qualify for health reasons or anyone needing more than $250,000 of coverage.
Group coverage is underwritten by Life Insurance Company of North America, Philadelphia, PA (a CIGNA company). This information is a brief description of the important features of this plan. It is not a contract. Terms and conditions of coverage are set forth in group policy #AGL-1129, under policy form # TL-004700, issued to Student Osteopathic Medical Association in the state of Illinois. The group policy is subject to the laws of the jurisdiction in which it is issued. The availability of this offer may change. This plan is not available in NY. All Cigna products and services are provided exclusively by or through operating subsidiaries of Cigna Corporation, including Life Insurance Company of North America. The Cigna name, logo and other Cigna marks are owned by Cigna Intellectual Property, Inc.